More Tips on Fire Prevention During the Holidays
While it's always important to be fire smart around your home, the team at SERVPRO of Glenview would like to gently remind you to be extra-cautious when decking out your home for the holidays.
Be aware of any fire dangers that may be present at this time, from holiday lights and decorations to your tree, from a crowded kitchen stovetop to lit candles in your home.
In today's blog post, we're focusing on fire prevention and fire safety tips that are important to remember not only during the holidays, but the whole year through.
Take a look around your home as you prepare to entertain guests during the holidays. There may be fire hazards you overlook simply because you live there and don't "see" them. More than half of home decoration fires in December are started by candles, so pay close attention to candles in your home!
- Keep candles and melted wax warmers out of reach of small children and pets.
- Pay special attention to the power cords for melted wax warmers to ensure they do not dangle or lay where they can be accidentally tripped over or snagged and knock the warmer over.
- When candles are lit, ensure they are not near any flammable objects, such as decorations, curtains, or greeting cards.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop. Keep a watchful eye in case someone lays an oven mitt or dishtowel near the stove where it may catch fire.
- Test your smoke alarms before guests arrive and have a fire extinguisher accessible to the kitchen (and fireplace, if you have one and will be using it). If you haven't replaced the batteries in your smoke alarms when you reset the clocks last month, now would be a very good time to replace batteries!
- Blow out all candles and turn off all lights and decorations, both indoor and outdoor, before you go to bed. Note, electrical decorations as well as battery-powered ones should be unplugged or turned off.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside; provide deep ashtrays with a bit of water so butts can be extinguished before guests return indoors.
- Remember that, while nostalgic and picture-perfect, lighting real candles on your Christmas tree is an extreme fire hazard.
The National Fire Prevention Association works to educate the public about potential fire risks during the holidays, offering tip sheets, videos, and other resources. Learn more by visiting their website.
If the unthinkable should happen and you have a fire in your home during the holidays, know that you can call on SERVPRO® of Glenview to help clean up the fire and smoke damage. We are available 24/7/365 - call us at 847-832-9300.