Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When your home or any part of it is destroyed by fire, it is not easy to keep a clear head in the midst of dealing with fire and smoke damage. At SERVPRO® of Glenview, we understand that your life has been immediately and unexpectedly turned upside down. We treat your home and property, your belongings, your situation and your loss with the utmost respect and empathy. When fire and water take control of your life, our team is here to help you take back control and restore order to your home and your life.
The primary focus following any fire damage situation should be your safety. Before you attempt to access any area of your home which has sustained fire or smoke damage, consider the following:
- First of all, is it safe to stay in the home?
- If it is safe to access, check each area carefully before doing anything there. Electrical hazards and situations where you may slip and fall are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities which are safe for you to perform. If the fire or smoke damaged areas have not been inspected for structural safety, do not enter that area until you have been cleared to do so.
- Use extreme caution! Wet materials can be VERY heavy to move.
Have smoke or fire damage? Call (847) 832-9300 and let SERVPRO® of Glenview come help you in your cleanup & restoration efforts.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (847) 832-9300
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.