Keeping Your Business Above Water after Water Damage
We can help you STAT
Flooding and water damage events at Glenview commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Glenview
SERVPRO of Glenview specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Moldy Clothes? What Can You Do?
Your Dryer Is Your Friend!
The reason clothing is so susceptible to mold growth is not just because of the mold-inviting circumstances within the laundry room. Generally, when it is worn, clothing collects sweat and skin cells, as well as dirt and other forms of moisture and organic material that mold loves to feast on. Then, it is placed in the laundry hamper and usually sits for days before it it is finally washed. This scenario is typical and may not result in a noticeable mold infestation, but should the soiled laundry be allowed to fester long enough, a mildew smell may be present, as well as visible signs of green, blue, gray, black, or sometimes even white mold on clothes.
Another scenario is becoming more common due to busy lifestyles and poor habits. The quick development of mold on clothes after washing may be surprising to some, but it is quite an ordinary occurrence for those with overwhelmed schedules or those who are vulnerable to procrastination because they often forget to remove clothing from the washing machine once the cycle is finished. As time passes, this leads to the rapid proliferation of mildew and mold on clothes after washing, due to the remaining moisture. Neglecting to put the wet clothes in the dryer for a few hours is not what makes mold grow. Neglecting the clothes in the washer for 6 hours or longer–sometimes a day or even a few days–is the problem. Before too long, a mildew smell will be detected in the washer and clothing. Some assume this is the residue of soap, and while that may be true to some extent, the fact of the matter is that most soaps contains lard and other organic (even synthetic) materials that mold can thrive off of. The smell is not necessarily the residue of soap, but an indication that mold is producing a secondary metabolite–the mildew smell–from consuming that soap.
What is a natural detergent to kill mold? Here is what you will need.
- Two 5 oz. organic castile soap bars (naturally-scented with lavender or peppermint is great but non-scented works just the same)
- 3 cups of washing soda (no, it’s not the same as baking soda)
- 2 cups of borax
- 30 drops of certified-pure lavender essential oil (optional but highly advisable for a mold killing laundry detergent)
Once you have all the materials, this is what to do.
- Cut the castile soap bars into small pieces or chunks. (This is crucial to avoid damaging the food processor.)
- Place the cut castile soap pieces or chunks in the food processor bowl. Pulse the soap on high until what remains are large crumbs.
- Add the washing soda to the food processor and pulse for 1 minute. (After pulsing, all the ingredients should be in powder form and well-combined. If not, try running the food processor again and then mixing with a spoon.)
- Empty the washing soda and castile soap into the storage container. Add the borax and blend well with a spoon.
- Add the essential oils of choice (optional but beneficial) and be sure to mix well.
Do not place this mixture into the drawer or dispenser, place it directly in with the laundry.
Mother's Day Special
Get something you know she REALLY wants!
Mother's Day is almost here! Are you at wits end trying to figure out what she would want? Does she have all of her favorite jewelry and really doesn't want any more? Is she fussy about the clothes that she wants, or needs? Not sure what fragrance she prefers? We have something that everyone would truly appreciate!
During the Month of May, we are offering a Mother's Day Special that features 25% off all of our cleaning services!
- Carpet, upholstery, drapes and blinds
- Ceilings, Walls and hard floors
- Air ducts and HVAC
Call SERVPRO of Glenview today at 847-832-9300 and set up something really special for the special Moms in your life today!
(And while you are at it, arrange something special for yourself as well ;)
Hmmmm...What nasty stuff is lurking within THIS corner and why!
Mold is a major-league nuisance. It blackens the grout lines in your shower, discolors drywall, shows up as black spots on siding, darkens decks, and grows on and rots damp wood everywhere. Even worse, it can be bad for your health. Mold releases microscopic spores that cause allergic reactions, runny noses and sneezing, as well as irritating, even injurious, odors
If you have seepage or a leak that hasn’t been addressed, mold may have infiltrated the drywall and internal surfaces of your home. Disturbing big infestations can be bad for your health, particularly if you are an allergy sufferer or have a weakened immune system. When you discover an extensive mold problem, we recommend that you call in a professional, who knows what kills mold, to handle the problem of how to remove it and stop it at its source. And even if you hire professionals, read through this article to understand how to keep the mold from spreading throughout your house.
How to identify mold
Mold is everywhere. It’s a type of fungus that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It can grow almost anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature, between 40 and 100 degrees F. Typically that includes about every damp place in your home.
You can easily spot the most visible type of mold, called mildew, which begins as tiny, usually black spots but often grows into larger colonies. It’s the black stuff you see in the grout lines in your shower, on damp walls, and outdoors on the surfaces of deck boards and painted siding, especially in damp and shady areas. A mildewed surface is often difficult to distinguish from a dirty one. To test for mildew, simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.
Mildew is a surface type of mold that won’t damage your home’s structure. But other types of mold cause rot. Probe the suspect area with a screwdriver or other sharp tool. If the wood is soft or crumbles, the fungi have taken hold and rot has begun.
If you have a high concentration of mold, you may smell it. If you detect the typical musty odor, check for mold on damp carpets, damp walls, damp crawlspaces and wet wood under your floors, wet roof sheathing and other damp areas. Have these infestations cleaned right away before they get worse.
Tips for Mold Prevention
After the mold is removed from your home, you’ll want to prevent it in the future. The key to stopping most mold is to control dampness. The worst infestations usually occur in damp crawlspaces, in attics and walls where water has leaked in from the outside, and in basements with poor foundation drainage. Stopping leaks, ensuring good ventilation in attics, keeping crawlspaces dry and routing water away from the foundation are the best defenses on how to get rid of mold.
Mildewcide in paint is usually effective for controlling surface mold in damp rooms like bathrooms and outside in shady areas. Many paints already have mildewcide in them. Check with your paint dealer to be sure.
Call a Pro!
If you find mold in your home and have questions or are concerned about the extent of the problem, call SERVPRO of Glenview at 847-832-9300 and we will be glad to do a detailed inspection to find the source of the mold and give you advice about what should be done.
Protecting Your Home and Family From Fires!
Know your escape plan!
In the United States, there is a house fire reported every 90 seconds in 2016! That is a lot of fires! 85% of all fire related deaths occur in homes, so you should always be prepared! You may have seconds to minutes to escape a burning building because these fires can start and spread very rapidly.
First thing every homeowner should do, is install smoke alarms. They should be on every level and should be inside, or just outside every sleeping quarters. Make sure that they are interconnected, and tested every month. While smoke alarms are a great way to identify the danger, the best thing that can be done is to put a sprinkler system in your home. This may be a costly prevention method, but it can save your life and your property.
The next important piece of advice is to make an evacuation plan! Sit down with your family about twice a year and make sure everyone knows the quickest way out of your home. Make sure that there are two separate ways out of the building and that everyone is aware of what to do in case of a fire.
If fire does strike your home, we are here for you at SERVPRO of Glenview - 847-832-9300.
Ten Reasons to Have Your Carpets Cleaned Professionally
Fresh Clean Carpets
As the weather warms and people head outdoors, it’s a great time to free your home’s carpets from the accumulation of dirt that comes with the Midwest winter weather.
Here are the top ten reasons to have carpets cleaned professionally.
Properly cleaning and maintaining carpets:
- Prolongs the life of carpeting. Regular carpet cleaning using the extraction method can increase the life of carpets significantly, protecting your floor-covering investment.
- Protects indoor air quality. Carpets trap airborne pollutants; however, eventually those pollutants must be removed in order to protect the carpet and maintain indoor air quality.
- Makes carpets easier to maintain. Most carpet soiling is made up of dry soils; when carpets are kept thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis, most dry soils can be removed with regular vacuuming.
- Removes spots and stains. As with other soils, spots and stains can attract more soiling. Removing them promptly protects carpeting from damage.
- Prevents buildup of allergens and bacteria. Moist soiling of carpets can result in the buildup of several unhealthy contaminants.
- Enhances the appearance of any room. Clean, well-maintained carpets speak volumes about the overall cleanliness of a home or facility.
- Improves worker morale. Workers feel better about their work environment when it is clean. This includes the carpeting.
- Makes carpeting look and feel clean and fresh.
- Removes dust mites and other pests that may have found a home in carpets.
- Maintains the carpet’s warranty. Most carpet warranties require that carpets be cleaned using the extraction method within a specific amount of time, usually every 12 to 18 months.
Call us at SERVPRO of Glenview to schedule your carpet cleaning at 847-832-9300. Enjoy the feeling of barefoot clean carpets!
Summer is Coming. Fresh Air Inside and Out!
Duct Cleaning. Have a SERVPRO Professional Do it Right!
Summer is coming! This is the best time to have your ventilation system's ductwork made fresh and clean after dust, debris, animal hair and other contaminants have been circulating through your vents during the winter months. Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating odors, dust and other contaminates.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals routinely inspect the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
We also recommend to contact us, SERVPRO of Glenview. We have the expertise to provide a deeper clean than your basic house cleaning service. Our residential cleaning services will ease the burden of the constant maintenance cleaning of your home, but will also create a safe, clean, and comfortable living environment for you and your family. Call us today at 847-832-9300.
How Do You Choose the Right Company to Restore you Commercial Property?
You can be confident that SERVPRO will get you back up and running!
You can depend on SERVPRO to be there when you need us!
When it comes to small pipe leaks, or drywall repair, most business owners think that they can probably handle that themselves. When it comes to your entire building flooding or experiencing a fire, you would have to call a professional restoration company. But who do you choose? With the amount of restoration companies popping up daily, it’s hard to choose who would be the best to hire. When hiring a restoration company, keep certain things in mind.
Go to their website
This may sound a little scary, given the amount of scams and false information on the internet, but you will know immediately if their website is legit. Some things to think about would be links to their services. Look to see if they have links that talk about fire or water damage, and the process that is performed in these services. If it is a professional website, it will be clear, concise, and informative.
Give them a call and quiz them
Once you have reviewed the websites, come up with a few questions you may have for the company. If they are professionals, they should be able to answer the questions without asking the manager, or putting you on hold. They should be able to give you clear examples of how they have worked with these issues in the past. If they become annoyed, or frustrated, then you know they are not the ones for you! Professionals need to be compassionate towards their customers, because they are already dealing with a mess.
Read the Testimonials
Yelp, Google, and Facebook are great ways to read the testimonials of the restoration company you are potentially going to be hiring. Companies can never delete these reviews, they can only receive good reviews to counteract the bad ones, which makes it a very accurate depiction of what kind of company you may be dealing with. Look at the good and bad reviews and make a educated assessment on the type of company they may be.
If you ever have any questions, give SERVPRO of Glenview a call at (847) 832-9300
IS SPRING THE BEST TIME TO CLEAN?
Spring seems to be the perfect time of the year for a deep cleaning home due to the change of the seasons. The weather is perfect to start open windows and let the air flow through your home.
The truth of the matter is that spring cleaning could be the most boring task that needs to be done at home or could be the easiest, all depends of the way you arrange this tasks and the actions you take every day in order to have a clean and a cozy home.
Every Homewood new home or old home has its own unique characteristics and needs when it comes to straightening things up, there are a few basics that anyone can fall back on when it comes to spring cleaning.
Kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, living areas, for washing, replacing, dusting, sorting…not sure where to start? Don’t feel overwhelmed, here are a few handy tips that you can also use as a check list to make your spring cleaning easier and fun than a summer breeze. We also recommend you to have all the cleaning supplies you need beforehand so you won’t be tempted to put it off.
We recommend to start cleaning something you like to see shiny so this task will be more appealing as you will see the results immediately.
- Start cleaning inside and outside of refrigerator, and take the opportunity to throw out expired food products, since you will be emptying the shelves to clean them.
- Clean stove and oven and wipe down microwave
- Wipe down shelves in cupboards and inside drawers
- Clean garbage disposal blades by grinding ice and freshen it with baking soda and/or citrus rinds
- Clean or replace if needed it your range hood filters
- Finally Sweep and mop floors with a nice clean fragrance…Your done!
This task could be one of those you would like to leave it to the last, but think of the idea of enter to your fresh and clean bathroom, having a nice bath or listening to your family saying…This is great and smells fantastic!!!
- Wipe down shower and tub and re-caulk if your caulking has cracks or is moldy
- Clean toilet, countertops, and mirrors
- Sweep and mop the floor
- Wipe down shelves in cupboards and inside drawers
- Clean/wash bath mats, shower curtain, rugs, etc.
In case you have many Bedrooms at home you can start with one per day so the task will be easy and you won’t get tired and overwhelm with the rest of the house cleaning.
- Wash all bedding including your mattress cover
- Wash pillows (or replace if needed it)
- Rotate and flip mattress
- Organize and clean out closet ( take the opportunity to storage in bags clothing you don’t use and keep them in a place you can see it ready to take it for dotation’s)
This kind of areas are the most used at home so we recommend to leave it to the last so you can clean it and organize it properly.
- Vacuum/sweep and mop floor
- Polish furniture (You can start weekly with a piece so you don’t get tired doing it at once)
- Dust electronics/media centers other.
- Organize DVDs, remote controls, magazines, etc.
- Clean sofas and pillows
Throughout the House
This tasks can be done one per day and depending of the amount of work needed it
- Dust furniture surfaces and ceiling fans
- Vacuum, wash or dry clean all carpets, rugs, and draperies
- Wipe down walls, baseboards, and light switches
- Wash windows (inside and out) and windowsills
- Wipe down blinds
- Change air filters
- Apply a light coat of wax to wood cabinets and furniture
The following tasks are more for maintenance but its essentials you take the time to do it as they will reflect the good conditions of your house and the safety of your family.
- Test all smoke detectors (this should be done monthly)
- Check caulking and weather stripping around windows and doors, inside and out
- Check for cracks on the exterior of your home and seal them up with proper caulking
- Clean sliding door track and apply silicone lubricant if necessary
- Oil moving parts of garage door
- Visually inspect roof for broken shingles and clean rain gutters
- Check your attic for evidence of roof leaks, and ensure your attic soffit vents are not blocked with insulation – if they are, move the insulation back to its original location on the attic floor
- Pressure wash soffits, walkways, and roofing to rid of mildew
We also recommend to contact us, SERVPRO have the expertise to provide a deeper clean than your basic house cleaning service. Our residential cleaning services will ease the burden of the constant maintenance cleaning of your home, but will also create a safe, clean, and comfortable living environment for you and your family.
You know SERVPRO as a leader in Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration, our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call today! SERVPRO of Glenview specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage.
Don’t wait more, and be ready to enjoy your fresh and clean home organizing the activities during the coming months with this useful checklist or by contacting us, don’t rush for spring or summer time we are here to bring you a hand!
Winter Weather Can Lead to Bursting Pipes
This flooded basement was cause by a frozen pipe that burst.
The cold Chicago winters can lead to many different types of problems for a home. 1 such problem is that of busted pipes. A busted pipe can lead to serious flooding of a home.
Here is a before photo of just how severe the damage can be. Lucky for this Glenview resident, SERVPRO of Glenview was just around the corner and was able to mitigate the loss with minimal damage. After the clean up efforts were completed, the home owner was very pleased and even referred SERVPRO of Glenview to her place of business for additional restoration work!!